Sunday, July 8, 2012

Imagine Life Without Post-It Notes


I have always been a list maker.  Work to-do, personal to-do, potential baby names, home decorating hopes, gift ideas, professional goals…all ongoing lists that can be found printed neatly on legal pads, scribbled on sticky notes, and written crudely on my hand.  I think I make my boss nervous when he asks me to do something important and I make note of it on my palm, but that’s actually where the highest priority stuff goes, so I can’t possibly forget it.  Since Ava was born, my list making habit has become a necessity.  As it turns out, what they say about mommy-mush brain is true, and my memory has been no match for it.
Greensboro, NC
Richmond, VA
New Orleans, LA
San Antonio, TX
Dallas, TX
Syracuse, NY
Boston, MA
Naples, FL
Rochester, NY 
^^The places we will travel to this summer for a basketball recruiting trip, dental residency externship, or family visit.  None of these trips involve Paul and I traveling together, so the next couple of months will be a balancing act for sure. 

Rock n’ Roll singer
Country singer
Teacher
Oncologist
Sports Broadcaster
Architect
Interior Designer
Urban Planner
^^The things I wanted to be as a grown up, before I became a College Basketball Coach. 

“Did you just come from practice?” (because I’m dressed in athletic clothes)
“Oh you’re a coach…what classes do you teach?”
“Are you the head coach?”
“Wait… so you’re telling me coaching is a full-time position?  Why do you need 5 people to coach one team?”
“But it’s not basketball season.  I thought you didn’t work in the summer.”
“I can’t believe your husband gets to go to Hawaii and you’re not even going to take time off to go with him!”  (in February)
“My friend’s little sister plays ball.  She’s a senior this year and I think her team voted her MVP.  She wants to play at your school so I gave her your phone number.”
“Just because you’re head coach is leaving doesn’t mean anything changes for you, right?”
^^The questions/comments I have received most often during the past 4 years.  It’s a little frustrating, but I can see why my job is misunderstood.  People watch big-time college coaches on ESPN and assume that what they see is all there is to it.  But the truth is, game time is just a small fraction of the job.  I could go on and on about all the other things that go into running a college basketball team, but that would take forever.  So let me just clear up some of the most common misunderstandings:

-Basketball shorts, a T-shirt, and tennis shoes are acceptable attire for a regular day at the office.  It does not always mean I just worked out, or that I am going straight to practice.
-Division I coaches are full-time employees.  That is my sole responsibility at the university.  I do not teach any classes. 
-Most Division I coaching staffs look like this:
                Head Coach
                1st Assistant Coach
                2nd Assistant Coach
                3rd Assistant Coach
                Director of Basketball Operations
                (and if you’re at a major DI school, there are several other staff members as well…one or more
                grad assistants, video coordinator, academic advisor, strength & conditioning coach, director
                of player development, student managers, etc.)
-I am NOT the head coach.  While there are some fantastically talented Div. I head coaches in their 20s, they are the exception.  It can be a long, challenging road to the top.  I spent 3 years as a Dir. of Ops at College of Charleston right after I graduated, and I’m now in my second year as 3rd Assistant at Charleston Southern University.  I do desire to be a head coach one day, and when the time is right I know the Lord will open that door.  My mother-in-law is convinced that I will be an Event Planner in my next job, but that’s besides the point…  
-Coaches work year-round, even if it is not basketball season.  Believe it or not, there’s enough work to do to keep 5 or more people busy all year long.
-During basketball season, days off are few and far between.  Our players have one day off per week (mandated by the NCAA), but that does not necessarily mean the coaches aren’t working.  Coaches CANNOT take vacation during basketball season.  It is not acceptable to miss a game.  Even if our favorite cousin is getting married, we generally don’t do personal travel while in-season.  If you want me to come to your wedding, do not plan it for November-April. 
-When we recruit high school players, we most often “sign” them (make it official that they’ll be on our team) in November of their senior year.  That means we’ve probably been watching them play for 1-3 years prior to that.  If you are contacting us for the first time in March of your senior year, YOU’RE WAY TOO LATE.

Another thing most people don’t know about college coaching: the head coach forms their own staff.  In other words, the assistants are attached to the head coach.  So, when that person leaves, i.e. gets fired, retires, or takes a more desirable position elsewhere, the entire staff is in jeopardy.  It is a very volatile career, and it might move you all around the country.  I’ve had to explain this a lot in the last 2 years, because I’ve been involved in the aforementioned predicaments multiple times.  But each time, God has been MORE than faithful!  Both times I was on the coaching chopping block, He not only protected my job, but he blessed me with more than I asked for or imagined!  During the limbo months, when I was still in the office every day but not sure if my contract would continue, it was brought to my attention that all the hard work I was doing could be for “nothing” if I didn’t get to keep my job.  But that thought had never crossed my mind because the Word says otherwise—whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as if working for the Lord not for men (Col. 3:23); whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might (Eccl. 9:10).  If you find yourself in a situation similar to mine, put your hand to the plow!  Even if you don’t know what the outcome will be.

Enough lists for today…  I’m off to bed where it takes forever to fall asleep because all of tomorrow’s to-do’s run through my head ;)

-Erika

No comments:

Post a Comment